Retroboats.net  

Go Back   Retroboats.net > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default 1961 Arena Craft

Got this old gal last week. It's a 1961 Arena Craft that is pink and has big fins w/292 Ford. Like most of olds it needs some work. When I go it the carbs were full of junk from sitting, starter solenoid is sticking and battery was toast. The motor was rebuilt and seems tight. Interior is in nice shape.

I cleaned the carbs and checked a few things. Fired it up and it seemsed to run nice on the trailer. Put some fresh gas in it. Figured I would take it to the lake for a shake down. Motor isn't happy when it's cold, so took a little while for it to warm up. Hit the throttle out of the no wake zone and had a very bad vibration past 2,000 rpms. Turns out the prop is bent. Ran it at the lower rpms and motor seemed to be running ok. Stopped to eat lunch and the carbs stayed flooded and motor ran rough, but I limped back to the dock blowing black smoke.

All in all it's fun boat with a lot of room and character....built for comfort not for speed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61ArenaCraft.jpg (84.4 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg 61ArenaCraft-a.jpg (96.7 KB, 1258 views)
File Type: jpg 61ArenaCraft-b.jpg (83.5 KB, 1350 views)
File Type: jpg 61ArenaCraft-c.jpg (67.6 KB, 1264 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 AM

nice looking boat. those side draft carbs were probably responsible for the demise of more old boats than anything. i have them on a graymarine in a lyman i have. while going through a shop manual i found a revised setting for the floats. can't recall off hand if it was in a gray marine or an interceptor manual. if i can find that again i will post them here for you.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM

That sure is beautiful Rick......comfort is good, speed isn't everything ya know!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM

Nice boat Rick, always liked those. There's another one for sale right now on CL in Ca, a '60. Direct drive version with an updated 302 in it, but not nearly as good looking as yours. I've seen yours (or one just like it) floating around for sale off and on over the past few years, always in Az I think? Anyway, nice score...just how many boats do you have man????

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/917850128.html
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Yeah, this boat was for sale in Havasu, The guy had it sold, but the buyer didn't come through. For some reason the boat stuck in my mind and I didn't know that it wasn't sold. The seller moved to Las Vegas and tried to sell again, I got back in touch. Long story short I finally worked a deal on it.

I like it because the engine was in the rear. This made the rear deck longer and more room in the cockpit. I haven't seen another one like it.

Picture is of a 1966 I have with the engine in the middle...I believe this made the boat better for water skiing behind.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArenaCraft-Dock.jpg (88.8 KB, 1286 views)
File Type: jpg ArenaCraft-FrontA.jpg (94.9 KB, 269 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
..just how many boats do you have man????
My wife laughs and says I told her she is not allow to count them any more.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

That rear hatch looks really cool. Is it easy to work on the engine or does it make you slide off the deck?

Is this one of the versions with the H shaped intake with 2 sidedrafts, one facing forward and one aft? It makes a pretty compact set up. I think Interceptor and Gray and Chrysler used them ... seems to me I recall Chryslers with the "Polysphere" budget heads having them on marine conversions. Carter YF's maybe? The same carb notorious for hanging up on the turbo Corvairs.

Is the rear engine version V drive?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Sam your right they are the YH Carters just like on the Turbo Corvair I had. I believe most of the early Arena Crafts had the YH's. Engine hatch is a little tough to work around but it unbolts. It really needs to open side ways. Might do something like that in the future. The Donzi has the same type hatch issue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61ArenaCraft-Engine.jpg (86.4 KB, 1270 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM

I like the one you just bought better than any direct drive version.

It's amazing when you think about it, that deck on yours is different, duh, at the rear than the direct drive, but I've only seen 2, including yours, v-drives. I wonder how many they sold of each version after tooling up the two decks?

Not to mention your steering is on the right (correct) side of the dash. A big plus in my book.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 PM

I saved this pic of the boat on CL just to compare with yours...